Saturday, December 29, 2012

The black spot: I say NO

CYBER CRIME AGAINST WOMEN BY DEBARATI HALDER

Gang rape of the Delhi woman and her subsequent death left everyone shocked, sad and insecure. I was no exception. Being a woman myself, a daughter, a sister, a mother, a chill ran through my spines when I first heard about the incidence. Immediately after the incidence, the news papers are flooded with so many rape cases. The news channels are constantly talking about how to bring out a preventive law and whether the rapist/s should be given death penalty or not. The social media became active too. People built up communities, forums and groups to discuss about the issue and many of us showed personal ‘touch’ to the issue by putting our thoughts through our status messages. I personally have signed on-line petitions  praying for preventing such kinds of brutal torture to women and bringing in stricter preventive laws against the rapists. However, as a civil society using the social media to express concern, I noticed that some of the users of the Facebook and Twitter are circulating pictures of the poor victim and encouraging (almost forcing) others to do the same. I know this could be an unreal picture. But still then,  PLEASE DONT. Women like me want to remember this victim as one who could make people feel the need to change the stigma attached to rape. The entire nation stood up to accept her as a brave girl and slammed the rapist. But at the same time, I have also seen some discussing if she recovers how can she face the society. I felt angry and simultaneously sad. A sect of the society ( a large chunk) still think that women are raped or physically assaulted must shy away from the society. Why ? Just because someone other than her husband penetrated her vagina against her will? Just because someone crushed her  bare breast without having the tag of being her husband ? I don’t support such mentality. Time has come to accept the rape victim as a victim of a cruel man made brutal and torturous ‘accident’. And for this I congratulate those who made the government to think of changing the laws.
 At the same time, I was asked by many to wear black spot in my profile picture as a mark of shame. I refused. As a woman I will show my protest through my own self, not through a blackened picture. My answer to those who had been urging others to wear the black spot is, black spot is bold but dumb. If you have the courage, protest against the rapist, the government in activities and administrative failures through your own identity. The issue has gained a momentum and no one wants to shut the other protester. If women start wearing black spot, it will symbolise that we are letting the male dominated society to think that we are ashamed of our womanhood. For men, it will symbolise that they are shying away from the responsibility of promising to build a safe world. As the things are turning, there will be rape news every day in every news paper now. It may have tremendous effect on the society. May be the educated, aware citizens will finally wake up to understand that such creatures who are called ‘rapists’ must be blackened and not the victims. Hence face the phase with brave faces and protest with strong words.
** The author does not intend to hurt anybody’s sentiments. This is an independent view of the author and the author has expressed her views in her own right towards exercising freedom of speech. If anybody feels hurt, the author apologises in advance.
Please Note: Do not violate copyright of this blog. If you would like to use informations provided in this blog for your own assignment/writeup/project/blog/article, please cite it as “Halder D. (2012), The black spot: I say NO, 30thDecember,2012, published in http://debaraticyberspace.blogspot.com/





1 comment: